Monday, September 1, 2008

Colorado Springs and Costa Rica

As Andy already has mentioned, our time in Colorado Springs was not by any means easy. We were up by 6:30 or 7 am and finished around 10pm or 11pm. We definitely were not expecting the amount of cultural training that we received; but it was well worth it. For example, this morning our host mom, Meddie, gave us a huge breakfast of cereal, toast, eggs, and bananas (not to mention awesome Costa Rican coffee). I mentioned to her than I liked bananas and she then went to the kitchen and brought out another one. Let's just say that if you really like something, tell them, and you will get a lot of it. The activities we had at the orientation were also very Coloradan, with the rock climbing and hiking. I must say I climbed a pretty hard course. We had a lot of prayer time and great fellowship with the other interns, who I miss very much now. Costa Rica is pretty much how I expected it, very tropical and humid. Except I have yet to see a monkey. We have seen our fair share of roosters, parrots, golden retrievers (Rex and Cindy), horses, ants, and oxen. I am excited to go to Tuis for language school because it is more in the rain forest. Today is our first day in the office. I don't think I will volunteer at the orphanage until after language school because it is actually pretty far away and I am not sure exactly how to get there yet. But they are unstaffed right now and have a lot of babies so I am excited to help them out.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Costa Rican coffee! I want some. Do they serve coffee in really small-strong-sweet portions like they do in the Dominican Republic? That was some of the best coffee I have ever had. Enjoy another cup for me, and keep updating the blog.