Monday, September 22, 2008

Back in Atenas

Well, we made it through the two weeks of intensive language school, barely. It was hard and tiring, but definitely worth it. Tuis is a cute little town where everyone knows everyone because usually they are related somehow. I will miss our host family and the people at CISA, but I have to say it feels nice to be home in Atenas.Besides learning Spanish all day, we were able to experience Costa Rican's Independence Day there as well as go on a white water rafting trip through a national reserve. Our host parents brought us up to one of their coffee plantations, and we were able to experience of life of picking coffee beans in a few minutes. Normally you don't pick coffee beans and smile.After our two weeks in Tuis, we were able to go to the Caribbean coast for the weekend to Cahuita, Limon. There, we went snorkeling among coral reefs. It was pretty cool, because I actually got to see firsthand most of what I studied in my marine biology classes. We also went to the Cahuita National Reserve, which is a huge point that juts out into the ocean with nice beaches surrounding it and a jungle forest inside. The only thing that was disappointing was I didn't see any monkeys. Ryan was able to see one when it took food from someone's cooler down the beach, but he was too quick for me.

No comments: